Today our baby is officially due! Like anything one anticipates, it’s been very exciting to get to today—to count down the months and weeks, and finally be at the point where we can refer to the date as simply, “Wednesday.”
Like in the months and weeks before our wedding, recently I’ve started to notice things slated for dates around today, like movie releases or TV show premieres. Or, say, the expiration date on this jug of milk.
Strangely, though, today is the first day in the last week that I’m convinced that the baby is not coming. Most babies are early or late, and very few (I’ve heard one percent, I’ve heard five percent) are born on their true due date. Also, considering it’s already mid-afternoon, and I haven’t felt a single contraction, I’d have to have some pretty quick labor to make it in by midnight. I’m not opposed to this, of course, but I doubt it.
I fully understand that when the baby comes is beyond my control. Maybe some of those things you hear, like taking walks or eating spicy foods, would help it along, but I believe that the time will come when both the baby’s body and my body are ready.
Over the past few days, I’ve continued to see my belly get bigger and firmer, which makes John and me think that this little one is starting to—but hasn’t quite yet—run out of room. Recently, I’ve been to a couple of showers and weddings for girls in the same circle of friends, which means I’ve had the opportunity to see some of their wonderful moms more frequently. One mom, let’s call her Mrs. B., after excitedly and adorably rubbing my belly each time she sees me, tells me that “once you don’t think you can’t get any bigger, you will.” Up until about yesterday, I still thought I could get bigger. Today, however, I’m not sure how much farther there is to go.
As for me, having just had my last day at work before leave yesterday, with just a few loose ends to tie up today, I imagine my body will be relaxed and ready for the next thing by about Friday.
Friday would be good, right? Don’t you agree, Peanut? Hmmm. You’re not sure? Well, let me offer a few more reasons as to why making an appearance on Friday would be fabulous:
1. It’s Uncle Karl’s birthday!
2. It’s Grandma TT and Grandpa Karl’s anniversary!
3. It would allow your daddy to take the longest uninterrupted paternity leave from work.
4. Everyone likes a long weekend, and I’m sure your aunts would LOVE to have a day off of school.
5. Our doctor (in jest, of course) told me that he would like to watch the premiere of the new Hawaii Five-O on Monday night, if we’d be so kind as to accommodate.
6. If you’re a girl, you’re probably sick of me telling everyone that I think you’re a boy. You’d probably also like me to use the proper name for you when I talk to you when we’re all alone. (No, I’m still not telling what that name is. Good try, though.)
7. Folks all over the country—and beyond—are anxiously awaiting your arrival. We can’t wait to meet you!
Come soon, Peanut!